Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Baby, Oh, Baby!

Well, there really is nothing to do at 2 a.m. when you can't sleep because of contractions (which you are trying to figure out if they are the real thing or not) and everything is ready to go for the trip to the hospital. I guess our preparations yesterday worked! Yeah!
Yesterday we did just about everything known to man to naturally induce labor. We did the more common ones (some of which aren't mentionable on a blog) and the uncommon ones including a motorcycle ride, running up the stairs, and applying pressure to several different acupressure points (while my father-in-law laughed on).
I told Eric on Friday that I thought I would go into labor on Tuesday (yesterday)... I'm not sure if that was a hope or a feeling, but when yesterday came and went I thought... "Great! I'm going to go late!" I even scheduled another doctor's appointment for Friday.
However, yesterday I put up the pack-and-play bassinet in our room, charged all my camera batteries, packed our hospital bag (which I didn't do with Ethan until I had to take breaks from getting stuff ready because of the uncomfortableness), adjusted the straps on the car seat from one-year-old Ethan size to new baby size, taught the kids how to swaddle a baby and buckle it in the car seat (and learned from Elia in the process that it wasn't good to step on the baby), expanded our potential baby name list from 3 to 10, and pulled out some newborn diapers.
The power of suggestion! I guess baby listened.
It's now 2:30. My toenails are freshly painted (thanks to my dear husband, who, though he thought it was a little silly that I wanted nice looking toes during labor, still painted them), Eric is taking a shower, and then we'll be on our way. We'll update you all after he/she comes! (And lets hope that this really is the real thing and I don't delete this post in a couple of hours when I come home from the hospital after finding out that it wasn't the real thing)!

5 comments:

Joy said...

Ohhh! Exciting! I hope this is the real thing, it's 7 hours later so I am guessing that it probably is. Congrats!

Chelsey said...

Wow! Can't wait for the next post. I hope everything is going well!

K said...

I can't believe you took time to do a blog post! I've never been in labor before, so I am super impressed that you can blog and be in labor!

Amber Staub said...

Can't wait to hear from you guys!

Los Morales said...

I hope everything went great!!. We're excited to hear more news!