Sunday, January 31, 2010

January Family Update

Where does the time go? Kara will be six months this week! I can't believe it! She is getting up on her hands and knees and moving a knee and hand forward in sync... It is pretty much crawling, though she doesn't go fast she gets wherever she wants to go. She is also almost going from a crawling position to sitting... She just started doing that this week. She growls almost all the time, resists a pacifier most of the time, won't take a bottle at all anymore, and is a wonderful sleeper at night... She'll go from 8 p.m. until 7:30 a.m. We started her on cereal about a month ago and now has sweet potatoes mixed with it. I'm hoping to take some more pictures of Kara when she turns 6 months, but here are a few I took in the middle of January...
Ethan is... well, he's just his own unique self.... As he says, "I'm in charge of myself". That would be fine... if only he did what he was supposed to do all of the time. Unfortunately, we have to make up for the times when he doesn't want to do what is best for him. Here is a picture of him after he looked into the molasses bottle. I thought it gave him a pretty nice eyebrow arch. He loves looking at books and his favorite is Alladin. We have an Alladin book that is quite a long version that he is constantly requesting. I have the habit of abridging it while I read to fit our time schedule. He also loves to say, "I love you all the way up to the airplanes" an adaptation from the book "Guess How Much I Love You?" Finally, he is really into his French lessons. Don't worry it is nothing serious, but we go on the bbc.co.uk and watch these little French videos every day. He always reminds me if we haven't done them yet. I think he really likes them because some of the characters wear helmets (another thing he is really into).
He recently learned how to jump on the trampoline...

Elia is loosing her first tooth! I can't believe it! Our baby is growing up! By the way, what is the going rate for the tooth fairy? Has anyone done something cool around tooth loss that I might try?

We also emptied Elia's piggy bank and took the money to the bank. She had about $65! I thought about setting up her own bank account but since they get almost no interest, I decided to open up an on-line account with ING that gets a little more. It isn't like she's going to get rich on the interest she makes from $100, but it is better than nothing!

I love Elia's sense of style. She has quite the eclectic sense of style and often wears skirts with jeans under them or dresses that are too small as shirts. She loves girly things, fancy shoes, jewelry, etc. Not sure how she got that way, but I'm certain it isn't from me!

We are in the process of putting finger sucking on extinction. Every day she doesn't suck her fingers she is rewarded with a disney figurine. It's been working so far, though I think the next step is to get rid of hippo... (her stuffed animal she's had since she was a baby). I saw her go to him one day, pick him up, suck on her fingers a few times, put him down and take out her fingers. It was total stimulus-response... like she had to get her "fix". I've suggested putting him away in her baby box, but she hasn't really agreed. I don't want to make it traumatic... any suggestions?
Our neighbor Emma comes over after school to play. I thought this routine they put together was so cute...

Hmmm, so on to the adults. Eric has been traveling a lot recently, so it's been nice to have Eric's parents close by. They have been in and out on trips around Texas, but it has been nice to have their help. We've been sorting through clothes, painting bathroom cupboards, getting yard work done, etc.

Our healthful eating isn't going quite as well as the first couple weeks, but we want to get through the meat in our freezer. I didn't think we'd be super strict, and we are eating a lot better than we've eaten in the past. Our no dessert or candy rule has been good for us and we're enjoying fresh fruits for "dessert" after dinner. I think the kids have benefited from more veggies at dinner too. Last week, when they wanted a snack I suggested a tomato. They both ended up eating two whole roma tomatoes... just like you would eat an apple. It is fun to see them like things like that.

I'm still trying to figure out how to be perfect. :) Just kidding. I told Eric I wish I could help the kids learn how to put things in their place, but I don't know how to do it myself and I'm afraid Elia is the same way. She can have something and not know where it is ten minutes later!

P.S. Kim... if you are reading this, I can't get onto your blog anymore so e-mail me!

6 comments:

The Petty's said...

I am cheap and will only give the kids $.25 for the little teeth and $.75 for the big ones which works until they figure out what their friends are getting. I messed up the tooth fair thing so bad at the beginning that they both knew I was the tooth fairy really early which was devastating to begin with but now makes life really early. They just come to me and say "I lost my tooth, wheres my money," and I will tell them to go get it out of my change box or tell them to cool it and I will get it do them when I am good and ready, depending on their attitude about it. But this way, it isn't the end of the world if I forget the night they loose it, like the tooth fair forgot them. You will have to ask me to tell you that story sometime.

Cristina said...

I just love your kiddies. They are so cute and Ethan makes me laugh every Sunday!

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

As far as the tooth fairy. What ever you do the first few times will become the standard! Owen's second tooth was a really traumatic experience and required him to be really brave. So we got him a matchbox car, with money and a typed note from the tooth fairy. From then on he was so excited to see what kind of car he was going to get. Oops!

Cathy Duffy said...

wow. she's starting early! we give $1 for each tooth. It seems to be the rate around here amongst Mika's friends. We've done $2 a couple of times just b/c the tooth fairy came 3 days late... I suggest getting a tooth fairy box or bag and have Elia set it by her pillow. Mika always puts it under her pillow and it is such a pain to try and switch the tooth and money while she is sleeping.

Paola said...

HEY! I loved the videos. The routine was way cute. And you'll exterminate the thumb sucking. If only we could have more control over these things! :) Mateus still has accidents in his diapers. I'm so sick and tired of them!

Well, here's to parenting!

Paola said...

I meant underwear, not diapers.