Thursday, January 7, 2010

Thunderbird Party Pics and Healthful Eating

While we were in Utah, we got together with some of our Thunderbird friends for pizza and bowling... well, we didn't bowl because of my knee, but we had a great time catching up on what everyone was doing.
The girls...
Now it is back to normal life in Texas....
First up, was grocery shopping. Because I can't go walk around the grocery store for an hour and because our fridge looked like this when we got home:
Eric bravely volunteered to go to the grocery store this morning... it isn't that he hasn't gone before, but this was a MAJOR shopping trip and after looking at all the ads, I even persuaded him to go to... (can I say it?!)... Wal-Mart. And it wasn't just picking up a few things... I had gone through all the ads and price-matched about 20 items. Eric came home with about 60 items that cost just under $70... most of it was produce, so the actual number of items was much higher. I was so proud of him (sniff, wipe a tear)!
We had so much stuff I decided to put it on display on our counter before filling our fridge...

Here is our full and happy fridge... So about our healthy eating plan... It includes (as you might be able to tell) lots of fruits and vegetables. It's been interesting to see how it has affected the kids. Today when Eric was packing his lunch, Ethan wanted to eat a carrot.... and not just any carrot... the biggest longest one he could find in the bag. He munched on it the whole time I was shopping for a few odds and ends later in the morning. When we were putting away all the food he picked up a tomato and wanted to eat that. Of course he's always been a fan of oranges, so he had a couple of those today too.

We're trying to base our meals around vegetables instead of around meat, since we are supposed to eat meat sparingly. Usually we think about having chicken and wonder what we will put with it... Then our plate is 50% chicken and then 25% veggies and 25% potatoes or rice.

So far, the meals have been a bit more labor intensive than I like, but I think I will get used to it, find easier ways to do things, and our family will feel better. I don't want our kids to have to change their eating habits and thinking processes when they are adults. I hope it will come naturally. Even if what we are doing is a little extreme to begin with, I think we will even out over time and eat much more balanced meals.

We're going to need a lot of it, so wish us luck!

8 comments:

Webster Family said...

Way to go healthy! We try to do 50% veggies and if you want seconds of meat or grains you have to have the same amount of veggies! Stock up on frozen veggies -- especially if you are near a Trader Joes and then use a wok. (IKEA's wok is only $8) YOu don't even have to add oil if they are frozen and they'll taste like you steamed them. Good luck!

Tyler and Erika Hanks said...

WOW!!! I am impressed with two things-1 Your healthy eating and 2-What a good shopper (and price matcher) you and Eric are!

Chelsey said...

I'm impressed you got all that for $70 too! Especially with all those peppers! I'm pretty good with fruit, but I have a harder time with veggies. I'm sure it is because they are a little more work. If you run into any great ideas or "veggie" meals your family especially loves I'd love to hear them!

K said...

So impressed with one, the cleanliness of your fridge, I don't think mine is bad, but I'd never take a photo of it;) and two, your goals. Very impressive, difficult goals. Eating healthy is great but an easy one to skip over on crazy days, tired days etc. so my hat's off to you. Also the tv thing. Nice. I rarely watch anything because I'm so busy doing everything else that I don't have time. I've found that I really haven't missed out on much. Good luck with everything!

Forbush Family said...

Welcome back to Texas! We missed you over the holidays. Glad you had a great time. Way to go on the healthy eating- you guys are already so healthy though.

Unknown said...

Hi Jen- We looked at everything and loved the pictures and stories. Jeannie wrote a long comment and lost it in switching to her Google account. She didn't want to retype. Anyway, we think of you guys often. Larry and Jeannie

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Good luck! Sounds like a wonderful idea!! I wish we had a super walmart close. I miss ad matching, I doubt they do that here! Looks like you had a fun Christmas!!

Paula said...

We miss you guys!! Enjoy the veges.