Sunday, November 9, 2008

Bad Things: Being Wrong and Spending Money

One quick note, this is my second post today, so check the post below too!
OK, so there are two things that rank right up the list of things I don't like: I don't like being wrong and I don't like spending big chunks of money (well, usually anyway... and especially if you can get things cheaper). Yesterday, both things happened!
So, Ethan, although he is 19-months-old, was still sitting in a rear-facing infant seat (as of yesterday) (contrast that to the fact that we were so excited Elia was growing that we moved her to a forward facing seat as soon as we could (about 13 months). He really was getting fed up with the seat and the problem was compounded when, not thinking strait, I would accidentally start buckling him in Elia's seat and then have to move him. So, we decided it was time to make the switch and give Elia's seat to Ethan and buy Elia a new booster seat. We went to Target and decided on a moderate booster seat that was $49. (A lot better than the $99-$125 that a toddler seat costs). I was pretty excited about saving some money (something that ranks right up there on my list of favorite things).
Then we were walking downtown and went into this children's store to look around and see if it was a place I could display my business cards. We saw another booster seat that latches into the car. Eric loved the fact that it didn't wiggle around and was convinced it was safer. I thought either would be fine on safety and I didn't want to pay $89 for this booster seat when I could pay $49. In any case, we bought it and decided to research both seats we had purchased and try them out. I should point out that the more expensive seat was on a "20% off" sale that ended today.
So, this morning, I, still convinced that my $49 would be fine, humored Eric as he "tested" both seats (see another big factor in the decision was that Elia needed to be able to still buckle herself). He tried out one seat and then the other, each time having Elia buckle herself in, about five times per seat. Reluctantly, I finally conceded that the $89 seat WAS better. It didn't wiggle around and seemed more secure, the belt seemed to be better positioned on Elia's shoulder, and Elia could buckle herself because the buckle didn't wiggle around as she was trying to fasten it.
I guess all is not lost though, Elia got lots of practice buckling herself in and last night Eric said that if we went with the $89 seat he would give me four 15-minute massages... I guess you win some and loose some, and though we're spending more of the kids' "allowance" than I would have liked, Eric definitely turned the situation into a win-win for all of us... hey, did he learn that in his business negotiations class?

8 comments:

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Nice! I hope Speen learns something like that in his business negotiations class! Not only do you get a safer seat that will be better in the long run, but you scored 4 back massages, love it!

Alisha Harris said...

Nice that Elia can buckle herself in. It takes me 10 minutes to get 3 kids in/out of carseat all myself. Can't wait until one of them is big enough not to need one. That is a ways off thought, I think.

Tyler and Erika Hanks said...

Hey! I am so excited you are coming to Phx in a month!!! You will have to come bye! We will be excited to see you!!!

Amber Staub said...

Nice job getting the massages as part of the deal. I know who I'm going to talk to when I need advice on booster seats.

Anonymous said...

OOh I think the massage was a good bargain!

Cathy Duffy said...

i still can't believe that you guys got a huge spider as a pet!! yikes!!

Dave said...

Wow, way to hold out for the massage Jen. :) I'm glad to hear that Elia will be nice and safe in her new car seat and that Ethan gets a new perspective of the world.

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Too funny! Good job getting something out of the deal!