Thursday, January 8, 2009

To Christmas and Beyond

So much has happened over the last two and a half weeks. I guess that is why I shouldn't wait so long to do a post!
My mom came for a visit over the Christmas break and she kept us busy! Some of the highlights (in Reader's Digest condensed version) include playing about 10 (or more) games of Settlers of Catan and several variations of it, visiting Galveston beach (on about the coldest day we could), going to several farmer's markets, going to "First Noon" at the Children's Museum, spending 12 hours recoloring the grout in our kitchen, getting curtains made for our kitchen and dining room, and swimming in our friends' pool and hot tub. Eric was completely amazed at my mom's motivation to get things done! We know we probably still wouldn't have done our floor (especially if we knew how long it was going to take) and most likely, we wouldn't have curtains either... but I had told my mom I wanted to do those things and she pushed to get them done. Thanks mom!
Now for the fully illustrated encyclopedic version:
On December 10th it snowed! I hear it happens once every five years or so. This is about the extent of what we got, but it was still fun. I love going outside in shorts and t-shirts still, but part of me missed the white snowy mornings, sledding and having a real reason for hot chocolate!
One of the guys Eric goes riding with invited him to come swimming the week after Christmas. They had heated the pool while family had been there and he invited us to take advantage of it while it was still warm. We all loved it. We all went as a family once and then Eric took the kids one afternoon while my mom and I were on our hands and knees for twelve hours re-coloring the grout on our kitchen floor. About that, I had no idea it would be that time consuming or difficult. I woke up the next morning with sore muscles and bumps on my elbows and knees! I felt bad complaining because my mom and spent about 3 or 4 hours starting the project the day before! The floor looks amazing, but I'm not sure I would have started had someone told me I would be at it for 12 hours!
My mom also motivated me to put up some valance curtains in our kitchen. I finally picked out some fabric and hardware (that process was like pulling teeth for me). She cut, measured, ironed and sewed all the curtains and Eric and I hung up the rods. I'm going to take some pictures of the kitchen and living room soon and post them... I just have to put away all the Christmas stuff still :! I know, not too many people still have their tree up, or the stocking re-hung :)!
Another highlight for Elia was her hair cut. Eric took her to this cute girly shop where they spray glitter in your hair when you are done. We were tired of the stringy thin hair that Elia never wanted to put in a pony tail anyway: On January 1st we went to the Children's museum for 1st Noon. They had a parade and a ball that you counted down to noon with. I made this hat for Eric, which he graciously wore. Ethan got soaked at one of the exhibits:After naps we all went out to Galveston to see the beach. It was amazing how much rubble was still around from the Hurricane. Of course, just our good planning, we picked a completely freezing day to go, but being around water is still always fun:
We went out to eat after and Grandma ordered Elia a special ice cream sundae. Elia love putting the m&m's, sprinkles and chocolate sauce on top (or rather just dipping her fork in the sauce and licking it off).
On Saturday, my mom took the kids to the park where I was doing a photo shoot. Lucky me, Elia asked to have her picture taken after I was done with my clients. She hardly ever wants to have her picture taken.
Even Ethan cooperated...
...for a little while:
Then it was off to play again:
We sure had a nice break! Eric didn't have to work much and we got to do a lot of relaxing. Of course Christmas was fun. The kids had a great time with their stockings and presents. We made cinnamon rolls for breakfast (sorry no fried chicken (that's what Eric's family usually does for Christmas morning) and a traditional Christmas dinner with turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, ham, pie, etc.
I can't believe it is 2009! How time flies! I love the idea of new years with all the emphasis on setting goals. Let's just hope I become a better person every year. Then I think I'll be OK. Cheers!

10 comments:

CandraWynne said...

It looks like you guys are having a lot of fun in Houston. Don't worry I still have my xmas tree up too :) All the festivities caught up with me and I've prioritized afternoon naps over taking my decorations down. Oh well it will get done eventually right?!

The Petty's said...

Nice up date. I see there were no more hints! Love the picture of you and Ethan at the beach. Kodoes for whoever took it. It is so hard to get a good picture of yourself, as the mom, and in our family, no one else thinks of it by themselves. I am looking forward to seeing the house with it's make over. We will have to skype again soon. That was fun.

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Cute pictures Jen! It was fun chatting with you yesterday!

Erin Wittwer said...

My favorite picture is of you and ethan at the beach! Your mom is a hard worker! That is awesome how much you guys got done! But Settlers of Catan 10 TIMES!?! You guys are crazy! Unless you play it really fast..Unlike us who take about 2 hours to play one game...

Joy said...

Cute pictures, Jen! Sounds like you have had a great Holiday Season.

Tiffany said...

Cute cute cute! I love the pictures of Elia's haircut. You better keep a nice paper bag ready to put over her head when she gets older. She's a beauty.

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Look like you had a fun time! Congrats on your projects. When we were in AZ Corbin picked up the phone and asked if we could call Elia. We miss you guys!

Cathy Duffy said...

Elia's hair looks so cute. You take great pictures! Love the pictures of your cute kids.

The Petty's said...

Yeah, that is a little more obvious! I think you will get through to everyone now. Mark made me think you were announcing something more when he said that you had texted me. I was all expecting to hear that our first thoughts of multiples was true. I guess you wouldn't know that for a while yet. So it still could be...

Tyler and Erika Hanks said...

WHAT YOU ARE PREGNANT??? CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!
I had to scroll down and see if I missed a blog entry about it. I am thrilled for you guys, when are you due?