Sunday, May 31, 2009

Smorgasbord

There is a reason why I shouldn't wait two weeks in between blog postings. Everything gets jumbled together and I really can't remember anything we've done! Plus, all those funny little kid moments that I want to remember as they happen get totally forgotten. I'm going to try and do better, because it really is a lot of fun around here and I want to remember those times and not just what we did. Nancy finished out her visit with a bang... and we're so grateful for her help. Among the things I was able to get done while she was here include organizing the attic and my craft closet, sewing curtains, and Eric and I organized the entire garage.
During her last weekend we went to the beach:
Also, if anyone has lost their head, we found an extra one... maybe I'll keep it to use when I loose mine... which, you might decide I already have when you read the end of this post!
Here is my maternity picture for all of you who have been wondering what my expanding belly looks like... thanks to Eric for the artistry and modestly placed shells. I wouldn't want to reveal too much :)
We visited some relatives along the way. Their bunnies were a big hit with the kids:
Ethan was so tired on the way home he fell asleep mid-carrot:
It's getting hotter and we've started swimming. It's so much fun to go with friends... It reminds me of AZ days.We celebrated Memorial Day with a small backyard BBQ with friends. Of course, we had to eat watermelon...
And wash off after... I also wanted to include these pictures that I completely forgot on the last post! I took them on Mother's Day and forgot to post them because of all the San Antonio activities!
A note about Elia's picture on the motorcycle. It is completely not posed... She had climbed on the motorcycle while I was finishing taking pictures of Ethan and was in this pose when I walked in the garage. I thought it was a pretty creative pose, called her name and took the picture. What a funny girl. Also, you may be wondering why Elia got a rose on Mother's Day too. Well, Eric wanted to make sure that Elia received her first red rose from him. (I'm a little worried about what he'll be like when she can actually leave the house by herself with a .... Boy; I picture a lengthy interview process.)
So, I saved some exciting news for all of you who made it to the end... Some of you know that I've been writing articles and doing photography for a quarterly magazine (http://www.sugarlandmagazine.com/sugarland%20news.html). I wrote one article for the current issue and just finished two others for the next issue. Well, the editor just had her first baby and decided to step down. I (insanely perhaps) thought I would apply for it. Everything seems to have just fallen into place and after a very involved application and interview process I found out Friday that I'll be taking over as the new editor! My mom is probably shaking her head right now (because she already thinks I do too much), but it's only 10-15 hours a week (which in August when we have #3 might seem like 40) and I get to work from home. I'll cut back on my photography but there will be some slow weeks in the production process that I'll still have time to do a little of that. I'm really excited because, as it happened when I worked for the newspaper, I'll get to know the community really well and be able to combine my writing and photography interests more. I am really excited. For all of my Sugar Land friends, the magazine is always interested in freelance writers, so let me know if you are interested!
In just two weeks we head off to New Hampshire to visit my dad.

11 comments:

Amber Staub said...

Wow Jen! Congrats on your new job. That is so awesome.
Cute pictures of you and the kids on Mother's Day. I love the one of Elia on the motorcycle.

The Petty's said...

So the old editor steps down because she has one baby, you have three and decide to go to work...That's funny! Congrats! Hope it turns out to be what you are looking for.
Very cute pictures of the kids! Glad to see a new post. We always enjoy reading about what you are up to.

Jean Smith said...

yeah, you really need to NOT be like me and go months (ok, not months) in between posts. good to catch up and your kiddies are adorable!

haha...LOVE the "eric head" and the mid carrot pic!!!

by the way...i can't believe you only have two months to go...i had no idea you were that far along!!!

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Jen congrats on the editor position, that is so exciting. You will do great! And those pictures are so darling as always. I think Ethan is looking so much older. What cuties!

Tiffany said...

Whoa Jen, that's awesome! Congrats on becoming an editor! If anyone can handle three kids and a new job, it's you. You have such a great knack to get it all done! I'm going to check out your link to the magazine in a minute.

I LOVE the pictures with the rose. I can't believe that picture of Elia wasn't posed. It's beautiful. You need to enter that one in a competition of something. Elia is such a beauty. And the pics of Ethan are so sweet. Nice work, as always, Jen!

Tiffany said...

Hey, do you have an article on the online site? I'd love to read it.

Tyler and Erika Hanks said...

Congrats on the JOB! You will be amazing, that is so cool! You will have to put links on your blog so we can read your work too!

Nells-Bells said...

congrats on the editor position! how cool is that. looks like things are going great for you guys!

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures of Elia on the motorcycle and Ethan with the carrot! You are so talented!

Anonymous said...

Jen that's awesome! I love the Sugar Land Magazine! Congrats!

Erin Wittwer said...

Congratulations on the job! your kiddos are of course so cute! your photography is amazing! and I love your maternity sand belly!