Monday, January 28, 2008

Farewell to our prophet

Last night, the prophet of our church passed away at age 97. President Gordon B. Hinckley was such an amazing man and leader for the church. He is especially remembered for his humor and zeal for life.


After I heard the news and as I was thinking about it, I thought about Elia who, when she is shown a picture of him and when we ask her who it is, she says, "President Hinckley!" When we ask her who he is, she says, "He's the prophet!".
She only knows these things because we've told her, but as I reflect today on my own beliefs, I can say that I know he is a prophet of God. I have felt it as I've heard him speak and direct the church. I have felt power when I've been in a stadium filled with people who stand in silence as he enters the room.
I am so grateful that the Lord sees fit to give direction to us today through his prophet. It doesn't make sense that he would leave men without guidance, especially in a time that is as difficult and turbulent as this one and though we will miss him, it is comforting to know that the church will continue to be directed by the Lord as the leadership and revelation from God passes on to our next prophet.
Here is a link to the news story from the church website (lds.org): http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/beloved-church-president-gordon-b-hinckley-dies-at-97
And here is an article from the Deseret News: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695247765,00.html


I have really felt inspired by his words and everytime I hear him or read what he has said, I want to be better. One of my favorite teachings of his are the "be's": Be Grateful, Be Smart, Be Clean, Be True, Be Humble, Be Prayerful. What an amazing man. I know that I have been inspired to be a better person because of him and I hope I can be as bold a witness of Christ as he has been.

After reading this on my friend Mauri Winder's blog, I am adding this to my post:

Testimony of President Gordon B. Hinckley
"I hope that all of you will remember that on this Sabbath day you heard me bear my witness that this is God's holy work. The vision given the Prophet Joseph in the grove of Palmyra was not an imaginary thing. It was real. It occurred in the broad light of day. Both the Father and the Son spoke to the boy. He saw Them standing in the air above him. He heard Their voices. He gave heed to Their instruction."It was the resurrected Lord who was introduced by His Father, the great God of the universe. For the first time in recorded history, both the Father and the Son appeared together to part the curtains and open this, the last and final dispensation, the dispensation of the fullness of times."The Book of Mormon is all that it purports to be—a work recorded by prophets who lived anciently and whose words have come forth "to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations" (Book of Mormon title page)."The priesthood has been restored under the hands of John the Baptist and Peter, James, and John. All the keys and authority pertaining to eternal life are exercised in this Church."Joseph Smith was and is a prophet, the great Prophet of this dispensation. This Church, which carries the name of the Redeemer, is true."I leave you my testimony, my witness, and my love for each of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."
President Gordon B. HinckleyApril 1, 2006, Sunday morning session of the 176th Annual World General Conference

No comments: