Sunday, August 12, 2007

Cooks and Books

We've been having a great time with Nana's visit. We haven't done much out of the ordinary, but it is nice to catch up on some lost sleep during the day. Today I got to take two naps! I feel as though until I'm done having children (and maybe even after) I will never be fully rested or caught up on my sleep. It's worth it though! :)

This morning we made biscuits. My job was flouring the cookie cutters, Elia's job was pressing them into the dough and Eric's job was shaping and flattening the dough. Elia tried a few times to take over our jobs, but we'd tell her, "That's my job, or that's Papa's job," etc. The one time I tried to fix one of her cutouts she said to me, "Hey, that's my job." She also read Nana a story today called "color zoo" It has pictures of different animals made out of different shapes and in different colors. She would point to a picture and say, "What's that" or "What color is that". When Nana would reply correctly, she would repeat what Nana said and say, "That's right" or "Good Job". Nancy pointed out that you can hear what you say when your children play. It is funny to see her say things like that. She has also picked up, "Oh, my gosh," though that is one of those sayings that we don't say, so we're not sure who she learned that from.
Elia never stops talking and Ethan is really jabbering too. Whenever you talk to him, he talks back with these high pitched squeaks and tones. It is fun. He especially loves Elia and always smiles when she is near.
On the swimming front, she discovered somersaults in the water. She just said, "Watch me" one day and did it. So, they aren't perfect somersaults, but she has the idea. She also can swim from one edge of the pool to the other with a couple of breaths in between.

On Friday we went to a church party. The theme was "back to school". I taught a geography class about state capitals and state nicknames. I pulled out my fake glasses to look more "teacherly" and Elia decided she would try them on too.

In other news, I once again proved my failure at plant raising. We have been plant sitting three plants for our friends Dave and Tiffany Price while they are on their internship. We'd been doing really well and even succeeded in improving the condition of one of the plants they weren't sure would make it. Another plant, that was in no danger when they left it, gave up yesterday and literally in two days shed all its leaves. I felt so bad (though I had warned them before they left). They are coming back in one week! Couldn't it have waited?!

Tonight we made luscious lemon cookies. Are you ready for the recipe? One box of lemon cake mix, one stick margarine or butter, one egg. Mix together, form in balls, bake at 350 for 8-10 min. We take ours out of the oven before they look done and let them cool on the pan. They are really chewy and good. This works with any cake mix. Eric likes chocolate cake mix and puts cream cheese frosting in between two cookies for homemade oreos. Yum!

2 comments:

Amy & Greg said...

I love the picture of Elia with her bookish glasses. So cute!!

Anonymous said...

I think you're fooling yourself a little if you think that you don't say the things that your kids are saying. They tell on you more then you know. Even if it isn't often they hear a comment from you, it can come back to haunt you. Just count your blessings that they aren't swear words, and that they are coming out at all.