Friday, August 10, 2007

Books and peppery vitamins

I forgot to write about something funny that Elia did last week. So, I've been writing how she gets up by herself in the morning and we don't hear her, well, last week, she got up and was playing with the pepper and salt. I saw pepper and salt spilled on the tray we keep it on. Well, I also keep my vitamins on the tray and when I went to get a vitamin out the next morning I found pepper all inside the bottle. So far I haven't eaten a peppery vitamin, but I'm not looking forward to it!

In other news, last night I went to my book club discussion book. We've been reading a book called To Destroy You Is No Loss: The Odyssey of a Cambodian Family by JoAn Criddle. It was very interesting and thought-provoking. It was all about how this upper-middle class family went from prosperity to poverty in a matter of days when a communist Cambodian faction took over Cambodia. They worked and lived like slaves for four years until the communist faction fell. The book then documents their exodus out of Cambodia and into Thailand. It wasn't a light-hearted book, but it talked about the importance of attitude and the power of the mind as well as the strength of families.
It reminded me of one of my favorite quotes by Charles Swindoll:
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company ... a church ... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude ... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you ... we are in charge of our Attitudes."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very thought provoking. I have always admired your ability to do just as you said, and hated you for it!:) I wish I was better at it myself. I is something I really need to work on.