Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Defiant girls and sleepless nights

I have only seen Eric for 30 minutes today when he came home for lunch. He has been gone for almost 13 hours now! In talking with some of the other students, it only gets worse I hear.
We broke up the day with a trip to the library where I selected another seven parenting books to try and figure out the puzzle pieces I've brought into the world and another bunch of books for Elia. My library bag is ripping... again. This is the third one I've ripped. I just get too many books, but no matter how many we get, we usually read them three times during the week until we hit the library again. Elia just loves hearing stories! I love reading to her because it is a rare chance to cuddle! Elia seems to be going through a particularly defiant time. Today, at the pool I asked Elia to please put her shoes on, but she said "no". One of the girls at the pool commented that she had never seen Elia do that. It's nice to know that Elia is cooperative enough that it seems like a rarity when she is defiant. And really, she usually is very helpful. Also today I asked her to please throw away a diaper for me (which she is usually very willing to do). She said "no". I then said "That's too bad" thinking that would entice her to help me out, but instead she just replied with "Yeah, that's too bad"! I think she is just too smart for me. Sometimes I have to give her options to do something or sit in time out because she is just pushing me. I'm pretty sure she is just competing for attention with Ethan, which is why it seems to be worse. I wonder if Ethan sleeping in our room (well actually, half in our closet) has anything to do with her waking up. Last night she came into our room seven times!!!!!! We have no clue what to do! Any suggestions? We put her right back in bed, but I'm not sure what else we can do.

OK, so I haven't posted the Thai Chicken recipe... I'm getting there. I haven't forgotten.

1 comment:

Tyler and Erika Hanks said...

Ohh, so cute to hear about Elia's "defiant stage". I'm sure it is much cuter to those who read about it rather than experience it! Elia and Ethan have such fun personalities! We have sure enjoyed getting to know them!